Sunday, November 11, 2012

Two Days Are Better Than One

Well, it would appear that I didn't quite get around to writing a blog post last night, so today there's going to be double.

The excitement that led to the blog post remaining undone was, namely, the event of coffee house. Yesterday was Saturday, was we had classes in the morning (Existentialism and American Studies), but none in the afternoon. As a result, I spent the afternoon sort of floating around after being introduced to the wonders of Dogma, a movie, by one of my friends, and had a generally lazy afternoon. Then, after dinner, everyone got sort of dressed up for coffee house since the theme was "casino," and they're much more enthusiastic than we are in that regard. So I helped a girl to look like she was from the 50's, and then put on my own sequined top from the 80's, and we went down to play cards before the performing began. I managed to play BS, but seeing as I have not had too much experience with other gambling games, my interaction with those was woefully lacking. However, the performances themselves began soon, opening with a band of four boys playing a song by Rage Against the Machine extremely enthusiastically. The coffee house lasted about two hours, but the funny part was that it wasn't painful. Typically at talent shows or coffee houses are anything like that, you get at least one or two acts that are at least mildly painful to watch because, though the person ought to be given credit for having the courage to stand up and perform like they do, they don't have as much talent as they might. However, here at Putney, it doesn't seem like they have that problem. Oh, certainly there were some acts that were better than others, but overall everyone did extraordinarily well and performed admirably. My room mate sang in quite a few different acts, and many of my friends performed. There were the typical sort of joking acts that were put on to laugh at, though they were good regardless of their intention. But along with that there were the acts that people had put real work into and took very seriously, and none of them disappointed. Then, there were the ones in the middle that neither took themselves too seriously, but still displayed real talent, such as a cello and violin duet that ended with the cellist clogging while the violinist played. Anyways, it all only went to enforce my opinion that everyone at Putney is supremely talented, and the entire community is very supportive of their work.

Well, after my adventures of last night, I woke up to do barn this morning and it was downright balmy compared to how the weather has been lately. After barn, since brunch doesn't begin until 9 on Sundays, I went back to bed with the intention to take a little nap, and wound up sleeping all the way to 12 and missing brunch entirely. After that, I managed to grab some coffee so that the rest of my day wasn't miserable. I spent the day working on an essay about T. S. Eliot, and managed to get about half of it finished, which I intend to finish after writing this blog post. Other than that, today was very relaxed, and there was ice cream for dinner, which was a nice change, particularly after missing brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment