Friday, November 16, 2012

And the Turkeys Came Marching In

Today, we both had shortened classes due to March of the Turkeys, and the perk of then getting to eat the food involved n the feast.

I presented for Existentialism with my group on the Rhinoceros by Ionesco, and I believe it went fairly well. The class was greatly abbreviated, but we managed to get it in. Also, in ceramics, I started the glazing f my elephant, which I then finished during conference block, along with helping the teacher to load the kiln. Evidently, Putney has a gas kiln, which is quite uncommon for high schools, and even colleges. The advantage of it, according to my teacher Naomi, is that you can sort of suffocate the fire inside, which somehow helps. I'm not entirely clear on the details. Out it was very cool to get to see all the finished pieces. It really never stops being incredible how amazingly talented everyone here is. There are some kids in ceramics who truly make gorgeous pieces, and are very dedicated to their work. It's truly amazing to see everything that they make. This was also my last class, which was terribly sad, and which kept on going throughout the day. It truly has been one of goodbyes, seeing as its the last full day I will have with many of my friends. I've been trying not to think about it, but it sort of looms. Anyways, we had about an hour between classes and dinner, so I went and listened to my friend Max practice violin, and take pictures of the barn animals in preparation for my departure.

At 2, we all went to the KDU (which I discovered stands for Kitchen Dining-room Unit) and sat down for a lovey Thanksgiving dinner. Students from the Celtic music class played fiddle and folk tunes as we were walking in and sitting down, then the freshmen served the fruit and nut course, which was very fun because they were all slightly awkward. After that, we listened to a clip from a March of the Turkeys in 1945 that has recently been discovered that was from the founder of the school's address so many years ago. It was very interesting in that it was directly after the war, and though she said that they were to be thankful for the end of the war, they still had a great responsibility to help the world. I was actually interesting because she said they had little else to be thankful for. Also, it was interesting because evidently 3 students died and 3 were injured. Anyways, the food and company was great, and afterwards it was a lazy afternoon. We played Rummy-O, a number game, after 4 until the 5 o'clock dorm cleanup, and then I went for a walk with some friends and returned at 7 to go to fiber arts. I finished my scarf in fiber arts, and I am wearing it as I type this, which is terribly exciting. It's something to treasure as a souvenir from this amazing experience forever. Even though I know that this is the last day and I'm leaving Sunday, though most leave n Saturday, it doesn't seem as if its real because my experience here has been so amazing, and though I want to go home I don't want to leave her either. Well, I'll try to put off the thought until I must face it tomorrow, and the I shall write a big sappy post about it all, until then, I think I prefer denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment