Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Last Tuesday

Well, today it has been really hitting me that I will be leaving on Sunday, which is both horrible and wonderful at the same time. However, I suppose I have the rest of the week so I had better make the best of it.

Anyways, today in poetry I finished revising my essay and outlined the presentation I will be giving on T. S. Eliot on Thursday, though the rest of the class has the honor of doing so after the break. Seeing as I shall not be here then, I think that would be fairly difficult, and so I am a bit more cramped for time than them. Ceramics was my second class, and since the masks are finished and everything is bisque fired, we were able to start glazing our pieces. It's very interesting to see all the glazes and how they combine, particularly since they look extremely different after being fired, often even entirely different colors, so it's a bit of a surprise to see how pieces come out. The surprise is lessened, of course, by the sample pieces that they have glazed in order to demonstrate how the glazes turn out, and then also a few little bowls that demonstrate how they react with each other when they're mixed. I started to glaze a bowl yesterday, but didn't have time to finish it or begin other pieces since the teacher, Naomi, had to demonstrate the technique for me and a couple of other newbies. Although the kiln won't be fired until after I leave Putney after Thanksgiving break, I think that I will be able to get a friend to package all of my pieces up and mail them to me if I give her the money to do so. Anyways, after lunch I had American Studies, where we began to read Angles in America, a play about the gay community in New York City during the Reagan administration. I have heard from some of the seniors that it's a wonderful play, so I'm interested in going forward with reading it. Well, after classes I had ballet, which was my last dance class here at Putney. I took a picture with the teachers and the other students for memories, but luckily I won't truly be saying goodbye to anyone for a while still. The rest of the afternoon was very lazy, but for evening activity I had Fiber Arts, and my scarf is very nearly finished. I actually had to stop early last night so that I will have enough room left to use some of the new colors that the teacher had ordered in time for today, but the shipment had been backlogged. Though the scarf is not exactly a work of art, I'm very excited to see how it will turn out in the end.

Well, it was another lovely day at Putney, only four left!

No comments:

Post a Comment