Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I'm a Poet and I Didn't Even Know It

Well, my poetry class was my first class yesterday, and my second today. The schedule at Putney is a block schedule, with three classes a day and a conference period that's basically a free period. The first class every day is an hour and a half, and the other two are an hour, with one of them being after lunch. The order of the classes rotates each day. This allows for there to be more time to each class, and more interesting activities in each, along with less homework since there're only three classes to give homework every day.
Well, I got there early on Monday and when the teacher walked in to the class, she told everyone to get out their laptops and begin to work on their projects. Seeing as I had no idea what was going on, I asked the teacher what she wanted me to do. So, I started to read Ezra Pound and T. S. Eliot in order to focus in on my topic, seeing as she agreed to let me stay in the class and do the project with them. At this point, on the second day of class, I have decided to annotate Burnt Norton and present it to the class, along with a short presentation on T. S. Eliot.
The teacher also described to me what the class had been doing in general for the past trimester. It sounded as if they were focusing in on world poetry, and many of the other students had quite exotic projects pertaining to them, nothing like my traditional and rather more boring choice. The class sounds fantastic, and I only wish that I could be here when they were actually working in class. Like the other classes that I will be speaking about over the enxt week, it is designed to provoke thought and discussion. I look forward to learning more about poetry, particularly since I have not had the chance to study it too much in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment